Hello Summer! Today is the first official day of the warmest season of the year. I am super excited! It is time for cookouts, swimming pools, and getaways.
And although you are in the midst of planning your dream wedding, you are allowed to have fun with the rest of us this summer. But if you’re not careful, my friend, summertime can take a toll on your engagement ring. Oh no! Or perhaps, summer is the time for you to say “I do” and head to an exotic locale for a well-deserved honeymoon. And the thought of losing your engagement ring and your brand-new wedding band while traveling keeps you up at night.
Well, fear not, friends. Today I am bringing you the best and most effective ways to take care of your wedding bling this season courtesy of Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company.
If you are in the midst of planning your wedding....
SUMMER CARE TIPS:
- Sweat can damage your precious bling. Make sure you remove your ring before exercising.
- Don’t jump in the pool with your ring on. Saltwater and chlorine can discolor and damage metals like gold and platinum, and can slowly erode the finish and polish of gemstones.
- Be mindful of cold water as it can shrink your fingers making it easy for rings to slip off.
- Avoid putting on sunscreen and bug spray while wearing your ring. These products can get stuck in crevices making your bauble hard to clean. Plus they also form a film on your ring, making it appear dull and dingy.
- And of course, the best way to care for your ring from all this potential complications is to make sure you’re insured withIn Jewelers Mutual®.
If you are having a Destination Wedding or going on your Honeymoon…
TRAVEL CARING TIPS:
- Wear your ring on travel day or pack it in your carry-on, rather than a checked baggage.
- By all means, let the bellhop carry your heavy luggage. But handle the carry-on – and the beloved rings inside – yourself.
- Be smart when playing in the sand and leave your bauble indoors. And by indoors, I mean in the hotel safe, not your room safe or luggage.
- In the worst-case scenario, would your rings be protected? Make sure it’s properly insured for the full current value, with a policy that extends worldwide.
- Know before you go. Get Jeweler’s Mutual FREE Pocket Guide to Traveling with Jewelry, here.
Finally, cleaning your ring regularly is a must in order to have it shine brightly all year round. Save time and money with this super easy homemade jewelry cleaning recipe.
So whether you are staying home this season or going out of town, I really can’t stress enough that the best way to care for your engagement ring in summer, winter and any weather in-between is to insure it — It is literally the first thing I suggest doing after getting engaged.
Our friends at Jewelers Mutual®, who understand what your ring means to you, offer a quick and easy online application and quote. In a few minutes, you can protect all your jewelry against pretty much everything, from loss and theft to damage and mysterious disappearance. So there are no excuses. Click here and get peace of mind now.